AAUW Sponsors Tech Trek in Huntsville
The University of Alabama in Huntsville has received a grant from AAUW to sponsor the Tech Trek camp on their campus during the week of June 21-27, 2015.
Tech Trek is a week-long science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) summer camp for rising eighth-grade girls. Through Tech Trek, girls are immersed in a world that empowers and encourages them to think about themselves as future scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer specialists.
AAUW piloted four national Tech Trek sites in 2013, in Florida, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Washington and will expand to three more sites in 2014, including Huntsville.
Regina Hyatt, the co-president of the Huntsville Branch, spearheaded the proposal effort that was deemed worthy of receiving a $10,000 grant from the AAUW national office. The Huntsville Branch and AAUW Alabama are very proud of their efforts to win this grant.
Why Tech Trek is important
- Girls and women are underrepresented in STEM fields and this camp gives girls a chance to begin a successful path toward college and entering the STEM workforce.
- Girls who attend Tech Trek are more likely to enroll in science and math courses in high school – and they credit Tech Trek for sparking their interest.
- In a 2010 AAUW research report, “Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math”, AAUW presented the most compelling and well researched information available on women and girls in STEM fields.
- Tech Trek is our way of “putting our money where our mouth is”.
- The science and technology workforce in this country is aging, while the demand for talent keeps increasing.
How you can get involved
- Identifying teachers in your area that may nominate girls to attend the camp.
- Identifying individuals in your area that may be available to participate in Professional Women’s Night or serve as workshop presenters.
- Identifying corporate partners that may be interested in making an investment in STEM education for the girls of Alabama.
- Donating to Tech Trek: http://bit.ly/GivetoTechTrek and select the AL camp (last in the list).
- Helping interview girls who submit a Tech Trek application.